Despite my half-arsed early efforts with this blog (mainly due to the severe lack of sleep caused by a boobaholic newborn), over the past year or so I’ve thoroughly enjoyed (ok – perhaps become slightly addicted to) reading other parent blogs.
I’ve come to realise that a blog is much more than the last post you wrote. It’s about letting others into your world, being part of a community and making connections with like-minded, or sometimes differently-minded, people.
This has inspired me to start posting again, and I’ve been amazed at how welcoming other bloggers have been. This week I was really rather chuffed when Not Just Another Mum nominated me for a Liebster Award.
The Liebster Award is a way of finding out more about bloggers you are interested in by asking them a set of questions.
The rules are:
- Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog in your post.
- Show the award on your blog or in your post.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers that you feel deserve the award.
- Create a list of new questions for your nominees to answer.
- Once your blog is published, let your nominees know that they have been nominated and link them to your post for more details.
My answers to Not Just Another Mum’s questions:
1.Would your child prefer Daddy or Chips?
Five-year-old would almost definitely say Daddy, although she may be swayed if the chips were drenched in enough vinegar (she’s her mother’s daughter).
The baby – it would completely depend how hungry he was at the time.
2.Where was the last restaurant you visited and what did you order?
An all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet restaurant for the husband’s birthday. Technically I didn’t order anything, I just piled my plate up with Singapore noodles, sweet ‘n sour chicken and prawn toast. Twice. Then felt sick.
3. Push presents – for or against?
For. I’m quite
materialistic sentimental and they are connected with bringing my children into the world. After E was born the husband gave me a half-eternity ring (sounds extravagant but really wasn’t). With my son I dropped very unsubtle hints about a personalised engraved necklace from a shop that is Not On The High Street.
4.What do/did you do for a living?
I’m a digital communications officer for local government although I’m currently on maternity leave. I also freelance as a copywriter and content designer.
5.Cats or Dogs? – One of these will mean we can’t be friends.
Definitely dogs. I’ve never owned a cat and with a husband who is allergic and a Jack Russell I’m never likely to!
6.What would be your Death Row Meal? – Up to 3 courses.
I would say my favourite Chinese takeaway (do you see a theme here?) But there’s no way I’d manage a starter and dessert as well and as it was my last meal I’d feel robbed. Three courses would be: baked camembert with crusty bread, followed by ribeye steak and chips then chocolate fudge cake.
7. Who is your embarrassing crush?
Not really embarrassing but I doubt he’s everyone’s cup of tea. Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age.
8. What is your dream holiday destination?
Really hard because my dream would be a round-the-world trip taking in my entire travel bucket list. But if I have to pick one place I would say California because it ticks all our boxes with beaches, mountains and Disney!
9. What’s the last photo you took on your phone?
A photo of the boy, with his ‘today I am 8 months’ milestone card. I was trying to get a good one to put on Instagram and it took several attempts – the crap ones have been deleted!
10.What TV show should be brought back?
The Sopranos. Although it would never be the same without James Gandolfini.
11.Which one blog should I go and read immediately – besides your own.
AKA Daddy – I love reading a Dad’s perspective!
11 random facts about me
- A friend and I met Mark Owen in a nightclub once and went back to his hotel (not like that! He poured his heart out about his girlfriend and we raided his mini bar)
- I’ve had an ectopic pregnancy
- I took three languages at GCSE including Russian
- I used to work in Ann Summers
- I suffer with night terrors
- As a child/teenager I swam competitively
- My dad died when I was 23
- I was born in Oxford
- I met my husband in a nightclub
- I was diagnosed with anxiety in my early twenties
- I can snowboard
I would like to nominate:
My 11 questions
- Why did you start your blog?
- If you won the lottery tomorrow, what’s the first thing you’d buy?
- Describe your perfect Saturday night in.
- Who is your favourite author?
- Where did you last go on holiday?
- What is your dream job?
- Cheese or chocolate?
- What was the last thing you saw at the cinema?
- If you had the opportunity to go into space would you take it?
- What is your favourite thing to cook?
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?