Back to school – the benefits

The little lady goes back to school on Monday after the Easter break.

After two luxurious weeks without setting an alarm, I can’t say I’m relishing the thought of getting up at 7am again.

Nevermind the inevitable last-minute panics over forgotten homework and unwashed PE kit.

But more importantly, over the course of this holiday it’s hit me just how much E has grown up since she started foundation in September. On the one hand, this scares the crap out of me, on the other I have really enjoyed her company and the almost-adult-like, yet still-completely-random conversations we now have.

It goes without saying that I will miss her like crazy from the moment I drop her off and I’ll be counting down the hours until 3.15pm.

However, it’s not all bad. There are some benefits to that alarm going off on Monday.

I won’t miss the daily craft explosions. As much as I appreciate all the homemade cards, models and artwork I think the Dyson needs a break from glitter.

I won’t miss the relentless tidal wave of toys that end up absolutely everywhere. Despite the joy of rolling over onto a Barbie in the middle of the night.

I won’t miss the post-apocalyptic-like devastation that follows a playdate at my house.

I won’t miss soft play rammed full of sweaty, feral, primary school-aged children. Especially when there are no free tables and the coffee machine breaks down.

I won’t miss packing enough snacks to feed a small army when we go out. Seriously, how many brioche rolls can one child consume?

I won’t miss food shopping with both children. Shopping trolleys are designed to accommodate babies and toddlers. Not five year olds, who insist on sitting in the main bit of the trolley, but then whine about sharing it with the actual shopping, before crying because they drop the crap plastic toy from a £4 magazine, reluctantly bought in the hope that it would prevent any whining in the first place.

I won’t miss having to not be such a lazy mare and cook E a proper dinner. Free hot school meals rock.

Despite the fact that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed not having to get up, organised and be out of the door by 8.30am every morning, and E has loved being able to play all day every day, I think we’re both looking forward to the routine of going back to school.

She thrives on the stimulation and structure that she gets at school. I know that she misses her friends and is looking forward to seeing her teachers again.

And to be perfectly honest I am looking forward to a rest. Five year olds are knackering.

stay_at_home_mom_kid_chaos

This Mum's Life
A Cornish Mum

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
Advertisements

32 thoughts on “Back to school – the benefits

1. babiesbiscuitsandbooze says:

Haha love this! I don’t know how I will cope when I have to do early mornings (I’m really lazy and my baby sleeps in late too haha). I can imagine holidays are hard work though! My sister is always thrilled when the kids go back to school bless her. #bigpinklink

Liked by 1 person

2. Mess and merlot says:

Aww my youngest started in Sept too – scary how quickly they are growing up now they’re at big school! I can completely identify with all the above points – I’ve never been so excited to be able to clean the house in peace 🙂 #bigpinklink

Liked by 1 person

• Sarah - To Maternity and Beyond says:

Ha ha I said having to get up at 7am, sadly I’m often awake a lot earlier thanks to the 9 month old, who likes to make his presence known any time between 4-6 am 😭 Luckily my 5 year old normally sleeps til 7ish, hoping he’ll follow her lead eventually! Thanks for reading and commenting! xx

3. This Mum's Life says:

Oh, I do look forward to the days my 2 will sleep until after 7am!! We are usually up between 4.30 (yes, not a typo! They are sometimes ridiculously early risers!) and 6. We are always up by 6 at the latest! Neither of mine are at school yet, so this was a great insight into how it feels to have them at home when you’re used to them being at school! It’s so touching that you will miss your daughter so much when she back at school, and how your relationship has changed with her getting more grown up. The tidal wave of toys and crafts is a daily occurrence in our house! I definitely won’t miss this when mine start school! Thanks for sharing with #bigpinklink

Liked by 1 person

• Sarah - To Maternity and Beyond says:

Ha sadly I’m often awake earlier thanks to the baby, although normally I can settle him and go back to bed, or at least take him with me. I’m just rubbish at the getting up part, not sure how I’ll cope if he’s an early rising toddler that I’ll have to get up and supervise. My daughter never was so I’ve been spoilt! I do love the crafting and toy explosions really, but it is nice to get some respite 😉 thanks for hosting and commenting x

4. Fran @ Whinge Whinge Wine says:

Haha we have already started buying my two year old a crappy plastic gift-fronted magazine round the supermarket. She spends the time sticking the stickers to me or daddy.

I think the holidays are just long enough personally 😉

Thanks for linking up! #chucklemums

Liked by 1 person

5. Franjones says:

I always look forward to the big one going back to school. I love her to bits but the constant “Mummy! Look at this…” drives me mad after a while!! And she’s 7, so it while more independent no less annoying! I think that comes with vying for attention with her new baby sister! #kcacols

Liked by 1 person

6. serenityyou says:

I was so glad when my 3 kids went back to school, finally got some peace and quite and managed to tidy the house and have it stay tidy for a few hours! #KCACOLS

Liked by 1 person

7. acornishmum says:

I miss the 5 year old days bizarrely now that mine are 10 and almost 12! I almost wish they never had to go to school, but I’d never get anything done so it’s just as well they have to 😉 you made me laugh with this

Stevie x #PicknMix

Liked by 1 person

8. A Moment with Franca says:

OMG I know what you mean!! The holidays at my daughter’s school were for almost 3 weeks!!! It is just too long!! Thanks God we managed to be organised this time. The first week she went to her grandparents, 2nd week was at a summer camp and 3rd week we had a last minute invitation at Bluestone in Wales so it all worked out just fine!! I’m now back to our normal routine. Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. It is great to have you for the first time!! I hope you liked it. I would love to see you again tomorrow, 🙂 xx

Liked by 1 person